Looking for something?

Friday, November 19, 2010

Interview Feature: HogansHandiwork


How did you come up with your shop name?
I had been pondering what my sister and I should call our home business for days. I couldn't find something that just sounded "right." All of a sudden, I started thinking about the tv show, "Hogans' Heroes," and the thought crossed my mind, "What if..." -"Hogans' Handiwork" was born. ;)


Why did you start your Etsy shop?
Mostly just to make some pocket money while we were in college. However, we love scarves and crochet, just because. :D


How long have you been a crafter?
Officially? Just a few weeks! Our grandmother taught us when we were little, but we didn't do anything much until we were older. Even then, it was a one time thing. We'd make something and then forget about crafting for months or years on end. Only recently did we take it up as part of our daily routine.

Does your shop reflect your personal style?
We are two sisters who's styles differ in every possible way. I (Denise) am the designer, and so you could say that our shop definitely reflects *my* style. :D

Where do you draw inspiration from for your products?
Mostly from my own imagination late at night. Midnight lightbulb inspiration moments, I call them. I also draw inspiration from other similar products.

Is there a piece in your shop that was hard for you to part with?
Almost everything! But so far, there were two that I actually decided to keep as a model. The mulitcolor Honeycomb scarf, and a special holiday item that should be listed by the beginning of December. Look for it!


Care to share an idea or item you hope to have in your shop in the future?
Since scarves are seasonal, I hope to expand my shop to accomodate quilted and crocheted bags and purses. Also, I hope to include various home accessories!

What’s the most important piece of advice you can give to other shop owners?
Describe your items well. Weave a picture for them to carry around in their heads. It makes all the difference in how a person looks at your items!

 You can find HogansHandiwork on Etsy and Facebook!
If you would like to be featured on my blog, please check out my blog on free advertising!

1 comment: