Friday, August 20, 2010
Interview Feature: KelseysTreasure
Today's interview feature is with KelseysTreasure! Kelsey offers a wide variety of unique, hand-made household decor items, vintage decor, and beautiful photography. Some of my favorite items are those made from re-purposed or recycled materials!
How did you come up with your shop name?
- Well, Kelsey is my name and I try to find treasures in everything that I re-do or make. So, Kelsey's Treasure just seemed to fit!
Why did you start your Etsy shop?
- I started my Etsy shop because I am a single mother and I have been having a rough road with steady employment. I live with my grandparents who are having some health issues and crafting is a way for me to be able to relieve stress and focus on something other then the negatives around me. It really refreshes my mind! I figured, I need the money, so why not sell everything that I make and hopefully one day be able to support myself and my son sufficiently.
How long have you been a crafter?
- Ever since I was a little girl, I remember doing crafts. My mother had dreams of starting her own crafting and handmade business but unfortunately never worked out! I got to do a lot of cool things though growing up and feeding my imagination!
Does your shop reflect your personal style?
- If I had my own home, I could definitely see some of my items in it! I think it does reflect my shop though because I have such a variety of items. That's the way I am, I can't have things the same for very long! I'm all about variety and excitement and colors!
Where do you draw inspiration from for your products?
- First and foremost, I draw inspiration from God. Usually, if I have in mind something to make, I will pray about it first to reassure myself that this is what I need to be doing! I can pick up an empty water bottle though and tell you 25 different things that can be made out of it when my juices are flowing! Other inspirations are just everyday life!
Is there a piece in your shop that was hard for you to part with?
- Not really. I love everything I make, don't get me wrong but it's just I keep in mind that what I am making is not for me to hang on to but for me to let go so I can make a better life for my son. I'm sure there are a lot of single parent's out there that know exactly what I mean when I say, you have to do whatever you can in order to help your child(ren) succeed!
Care to share an idea or item you hope to have in your shop in the future?
- Oh let me just tell you....I'm so excited about getting my tin can luminaries line up and running! I already have a set of 5 in my shop right now and have sold two sets of 10 in the past that I plan on bringing back! Of course, I have a lot of other goodies lined up but you will just have to keep checking back!
What’s the most important piece of advice you can give to other shop owners?
- Keep the creativity flowing and never give up! Look for inspirations constantly, all around you. Like our motto in middle school was, FINAO: Failure is NOT an Option! If you want to succeed, giving up should never cross your mind! You have to make your shop and your business feel right to you!
If you would like to be featured on my blog, contact me on Etsy!