Looking for something?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Interview Feature: OutlawsParadise



Today’s interview feature is with OutlawsParadiseOutlawsParadise offers very cool and unique jewelry made from horse hair.  I’ve never been a “horse girl” but I really find the style of jewelry fascinating.  It looks fancy and rustic without looking messy. You can even get jewelry made with your own horse's hair to personalize the item.

How did you come up with your shop name?
My sister and I put our heads together to come up with the name. We wanted some things rustic, but appealing. 

Why did you start your Etsy shop?
I started Etsy after a friend suggested that I check it out. I had never been on Etsy before. I was so encouraged to see all these other crafters trying to get their stuff noticed and sold. I also liked the way you can set up your own shop, and list all your products. It's very user friendly. It's like the next best thing to having your own website.


How long have you been a crafter?
I have be crafting for many years. My mother-in-law is always saying 'Oh, you need curtin made, go talk to Katie', or 'Oh, you need that dress taken in, go talk to Katie'. She is one of my biggest supporters. She thinks my talents are endless, I have to remind her that I'm only human.
The horse hair jewelry started about a year ago when I had to retire my favorite horse last winter. I had him since I was 16, and we worked so close together that we had developed a horse and rider partnership. He is getting on in years, and arthritis was starting to bother him. So I retired him, and gave him to a friend of mine how owns a non-profit organization called Equestrian Outreach She uses horses and other animals to help kids and teens who have difficulty with relationship and behavior issues. So now my horse gets to be pampered and loved by kids all day long. It's the perfect retirement for him.
My sister knew how much I missed him on the farm that she went and got some tale hair from him and we made our very first horse hair necklace! That's when we decided that there are a lot of people out there that may be in a similar situation with their horse, and may like a necklace or bracelet made from their horse’s hair as a memento.
We do a lot of bracelet's and key chains for people who have had a horse pass away, but they saved some of the tail hair.

Does your shop reflect your personal style?
Of course! My favorite is the banner, I could watch running horses all day long!!

Where do you draw inspiration from for your products?
My inspiration truly is from the people who have had a horse pass away, and are looking for a memento to preserve the memory of their beloved friend. I really like to work with them to design a custom piece with their horse’s hair. Most people I design something for end up sharing their horse story with me, and I feel it really helps them thru the grieving process, and in the end they have a piece of jewelry that will make them feel like their friend is with them forever!



Is there a piece in your shop that was hard for you to part with?
This is my favorite piece. I know I can make another one just like it, but this one was the first double square braid bracelet that I made.

Care to share an idea or item you hope to have in your shop in the future?
I hope to start on watched with horse hair braided bands. I should have those out in the next couple weeks.



What’s the most important piece of advice you can give to other shop owners?
Don't give up! It doesn't matter if your sales are slow right now, you’re doing what you enjoy and that's what matters!

If you want to be featured on my blog, contact me on Etsy!

1 comment: