Looking for something?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Interview Feature: ReviveYourBath


Today’s interview feature is with ReviveYourBath!  Revive has a glorious shop full of lovely bath products in a variety of scents.  Here’s a bit about Caitlin and the interview follows.

The Person Behind Revive:
Caitlin, an 18 year old college student.

The moment I opened that soap making kit on Christmas morning, I knew this was going to be more than just a new hobby. Earlier, my mom had asked me that infamous question, “What would you like for Christmas this year?” Well, I have been interested in homemade soaps my whole life. My mom told me about how I would beg for her to buy me a new bar of homemade soap at the outdoor market when I was little. I had been doing some research and saw an online company offered cold process soap making kits. Of course! That’s what I wanted this year.

Once I completed the kit and successfully made my first batch of soap, I was hooked. I went online to research anything and everything about cold process soap making. I read blogs, joined forums, read books, and even watched how-to videos on YouTube! With all the knowledge I had gained, I bought my own supplies to make my own recipe. After a few trial runs, I finally achieved the perfect bar of soap – one that is gentle, moisturizing, and has a good lather.

I started giving my soap to different people, and one day my mom said, “I bet you could sell this stuff.” Being the entrepreneur that I am, (I started my own custom friendship bracelet mini business in 5th grade!) I jumped at the idea and started researching everything I could about getting into the soap making business. Then I remembered the soap people from the local markets! After purchasing some new tables and items for my display and my Grandmother giving me an outdoor tent, I successfully sold soap at my first market. All I have wanted to do since is make and sell more soap.

In the fall of 2010, I will be starting my freshman year of college at Kennesaw State University. My plan is to graduate with a degree in Business Management with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. Starting Revive really helped me decide what I wanted to major in. Every bar that is purchased is either being put back into the company, or helping me get through college. Hopefully after I graduate, I will be able to take Revive to the next level and really become my own boss.


How did you come up with your shop name?
- I wanted my name to mean something, so I thought of Revive. Commercial made soaps are actually detergents that dry your skin out. Homemade natural soap helps replenish your skin the the nutrients it needs to stay soft, moisturized, and healthy; or you could say homemade soap Revive's you skin.

Why did you start your Etsy shop?
- Someone at a craft show told me about this website, so I joined. I loved it, so I become a seller.

How long have you been a crafter?
- I have always enjoyed crafting my whole life. But I started bath and body products at the end of 2009. I started experimenting different recipes and ways to make soap until I found the one I liked best. Then I began developing my product line which led to my shop!


Does your shop reflect your personal style?
- I love anything bath and body. When I found you could actually make soap, it was a dream come true! I love making a product and having a little bit left over that I can use in my own bath. The fact that I use all essential oils to scent my products (no fragrance oils!) is also something everyone in the house loves.

Where do you draw inspiration from for your products?
Since I am a bath and body type shop, I draw inspiration from the scents. If I am developing a new product or making a new soap, I will sit and just smell the essential oils. The scent helps me choose what colors the soap will be and the name.

Is there a piece in your shop that was hard for you to part with?
- I love every item in my shop. But the good thing about selling is that I get to make more!


Care to share an idea or item you hope to have in your shop in the future?
- As a new shop, I plan on having many more scents available. Many people like citrus, or they make like floral, and then I have to have something for the men! My scents are always a work in progress, but thats a good thing. The scent is the creative part of soap making!

What’s the most important piece of advice you can give to other shop owners?
- Be patient. Just because you didn't get a sale on the first day doesn't mean that no one wants your product. There are many different types of consumers out there, and there is a market for every kind of item.

Check out Revive’s blog!

If you would like to be featured on my blog, contact me on Etsy!

1 comment: